Monday, November 9, 2009

Do you consume alcohol?

In the Austin American Statesman newspaper the editorial There will be blood is brought to the attention of Austin drinkers. The argument in this editorial is we as citizens should have medical staff take our blood if needed to be tested for alcohol consumption rather than police officers. Some people refuse to blow in the breath alcohol testers supplied by police officers, which is why taking a blood sample is the alternative to whether or not an individual is intoxicated. The author received his/her sources from the Austin City Council. Drinking and driving is a very dangerous maneuver in any part of the country so as to this resolution passed I believe it is a good idea. Honestly if I were ever to be in that situation I would rather have someone in the medical staff take my blood rather a police officer. On my behalf and I'm sure of other Austin residents we trust that our police officers are trained to do their job but I'd rather have a specialized medical employee do anything that is involved with my health. Austin is a hot spot for drinking due to our infamous 6th street why is why police offers are enforcing a "no refusal" operation with blood testing if they feel the need. The author agrees that taking blood is no fun but it has to be done because there is many dangerous drivers out that can harm an innocent person's life or their own. The author also states "Mandatory blood tests are their worst nightmare." I think we can agree that if you've been drinking and driving you do not want to get caught, so getting a blood test would be your least favorite thing to do at the time. I side with the author and how relieved he/she felt after Austin City Council gave the right of taking blood to medical staff rather than police officers.

No comments: