Monday, November 2, 2009

Did you ever feel like you were not prepared enough for middle school, high school, or college? I attended the University of Texas at Austin my freshman year of college and boy was I lost and overwhelmed! So where did my education or our education go wrong? According to The Dallas Morning News and their editorial about education some elementary teachers are not qualified to teach the required core subjects effectively to children. In response the U.S. Department of Education wants to make it a requirement for first-year elementary teachers in Texas to pass a broad exam in order to be "qualified". By doing this test it is not for sure that teachers will be exceptional but it can help eliminate teachers that are not qualified. The Texas Education Agency is now waiting for Washington's approval. I hope that this compromise is approved in order for children to have acceptable stepping stones in order to build on their education and not be as unfortunate as I was.

No comments: